Friday, January 16, 2009

Getting There Is Half The Fun

A long day at JFK, followed by an even longer, but uneventful, flight on El Al, the only airline where many of the passengers walk to Israel.

(One of my favorite stories is about the El Al flight attendant in business class who asks the passenger whether he'd like dinner. "What are my choices?" he asks. She replies, "Yes, or no!")

My son David arranged for a driver to take me from the airport to Tekoa for Sabbath. Within a few minutes, the driver (also named Shmuel,the same as my Hebrew name) and I learned that we have a mutual friend in his town of Efrat who is a former colleague at UJA-Federation of New York. Small world indeed.

I'm staying with David and friends of his before returning to Tel Aviv on Saturday night. Tekoa is an outlying bedroom suburb of Jerusalem, close to Herodian, one of King Herod's amazing projects (and his burial site).

I've also checked in with my Volunteers for Israel supervisor, and it looks like I may be going north on Sunday not far from the Golan Heights. However, as previously noted, it could change six times between now and then.

Hopefully, more to follow.
Shabbat shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment